Clinical training includes multiple pathways that are designed to provide a comprehensive as well as a specialized training experience.
All fellows rotate through the major clinical training sites: Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington Medical Center, and the VA Puget Sound Healthcare System. Together, these hospitals have over 1,000 beds and 45,000 admissions annually. Fellows also spend time rounding in the outpatient dialysis units at the Northwest Kidney Centers.
Nephrology Inpatient Consultative Services: 7 months
Kidney Transplantation: 2 months (first year)
Chronic Dialysis: 2 months
Elective Rotation: 1 month (first year): 2 months (second year)
General Nephrology Continuity Clinics
Genetic Diseases of the Kidney Clinic
Glomerular Disease Clinic
Hemodialysis/Home Hemodialysis/Peritoneal Dialysis
Post-Kidney Transplantation Clinic
Educational conferences are an integral component of our training program, and run weekly and monthly at each of our hospital sites.
Year-round tutorials (Monday morning) designed to cover and supplement core components of the ACGME Medical Knowledge and Procedural Competencies.
Summer Lecture Series
- 2-day intensive introduction to clinical and transplant nephrology for first year fellows
- 8-week summer dialysis series for first- and second-year fellows
- Kidney biopsy simulation
- Central venous catheter simulation
Professor Rounds and Journal Club
Weekly clinical site-based conferences which provide a venue for complex case discussions, journal club, morbidity & mortality, and quality improvement projects.
Nephrology Grand Rounds and Biopsy Conference
Formal scholarly and case-based presentations involving fellows, faculty, and visiting scholars, and attended by the Divisions of Nephrology, Pediatric Nephrology, and Renal Pathology.
Scholarly and QI Activities
All fellows are required to participate in and complete a scholarly project during their two year clinical fellowship. Examples of scholarship include:
- Discovery - presentation of new data in a peer-reviewed publication or local, national or international meeting
- Dissemination - prepartion of review articles or chapters, websites, new protocols
- Application - publication or presentation of case reports
Examples of Projects Completed by Fellows
- Role of Intra-operative dialysis in Liver Transplantation Patients
- AA Amyloidosis: prevalence, patient characteristics and outcomes
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy: review of practice at UWMC
- Interactive on-line module of Glomerular Disorders
- Book Chapter: Care of the HIV infected Dialysis patient
- Pre-emptive Management of Hypocalcemia in Hungry Bone Syndrome
- Anemia Management in ESRD Patients
- Cohort Study of Nephrotic Syndrome in Pregnancy
- Iatrogenic Hypoglycemia in the Treatment of Hyperkalemia in the ED